Our construction process differs from traditional construction, and the results are customized solutions and a streamlined overall process.
Problems are meant to be solved, not created
But traditional construction can sometimes feel a lot like the latter.
The initial bid increases, the project gets behind schedule, and sometimes the final result just falls flat. Truth be told, some traditional construction projects can feel like a series of never-ending complications.
On a typical project, General Contractors must coordinate with numerous Subcontractors to build out a space. This coordination includes not just cost, but also timing and on-site staging.
“Usually, those that have experienced a construction project know – it’s never a great story. Built is working to change that,” says Kerri Brocker, DIRTT Representative.
If our solutions are the best fit, our designers will create detailed plans using DIRTT’s proprietary ICE software that provides exact pricing quotes. Unlike traditional construction where initial bids are destined to fluctuate, our pricing is based on precise manufacturing and installation costs.
Early on in the process, Built assigns a Project Manager to ensure effective communication and that everyone is on the same page as it relates to the Clients design intent.
Once the initial design phase is completed, we huddle back up with the client to offer feedback. They can explore the space virtually to experience the design firsthand so changes can be made before manufacturing and installation begins.
The design phase doesn’t end until the client is happy. Most of the time, this process takes around a month. We believe, if they can dream it; our designers can create it.
After final approval, the design is manufactured in our facility with precision. Traditional construction methods, often hand cut on the construction site, are generally cut to the inch. DIRTT is cut to the 1/16th of an inch, resulting in an interior that fits perfectly while improving the aesthetics and acoustics of a space.
“Acoustically, DIRTT tests better than a standard conventional drywall. Higher sound absorbency at 42 STC (sound transmission class), while standard drywall runs between 28 and 34,” says Kerri Brocker, DIRTT Representative.
Since the solutions are prefabricated, installation times can be as short as two days, depending on the scope of the project. Labor costs are also minimal, compared to traditional methods.
At the end of the day, we’re an interior construction company that creates solutions based on trusting relationships.
And what helps us do that is technology.
ICE isn’t just a design tool; it’s a software that helps price, manufacture, and coordinate timing logistics with absolute precision. This software also helps repurpose designs to meet the evolving needs of a business. While our designers are always thinking ahead, we’re also mindful of the fact that seven years is the average turnover for commercial spaces. No matter how effective a design may be today, needs evolve.
ICE also helps us streamline the construction process. Outlined below is our process. Depending on project size, this process can be completed in as little as eight weeks.
A Built construction project from concept to completion:
- Initial Meeting — Relationships are built, needs are understood, and viability of Built and DIRTT’s solutions are determined. If the project moves forward, an explicit timeline is developed and adhered to.
- Project Design — Space is designed according to client needs over the course of a few weeks, depending on scope. Precise pricing is determined.
- Client Feedback — Client experiences the design through software or VR; offers feedback.
- Design Finalized — Around a month into the process, the designs are finalized and sent to our facility for precise manufacturing.
- Manufacturing — Materials are manufactured off-site. Depending on the size of the project, this process can be complete in as little as a week.
- Installation — The materials are delivered on-site the day before assembly. With low labor cost, walls are installed over the course of a few days up to two weeks.
- Post-Installation — Built maintains strong relationships with clients after installation to ensure their needs are continually met.